A fan was run over by charging horses at the start of a race in Carlisle on Thursday.
The race got underway at 5.05pm but it was immediately apparent something had gone wrong as the horses set off before the man in question had safely run across the other side.
He only made it to the middle of the track before the field took him out and left him in a heap on the floor.
It’s not clear who the man was.
However, the fact he was close to the starter suggests he may have been working at the track.
Sky Sports have since confirmed the man – who got up and walked away following the incident – is OK.
READ MORE IN SPORT
'Spooky' abandoned racecourse bought for £25m left to rot in haunting pics
I was a postman before playing darts but I beat Phil Taylor when I was 21
But horse racing fans were still distraught that the unsafe incident had been allowed to take place.
And they took to social media to give their thoughts.
One said: "FFS! That is appalling."
Another added: "What on earth was that start all about at Carlisle? Poor bloke 😢 #Carlisle."
Most read in Horse Racing
‘Stupid’ jockey found with £10,000 of drugs avoids jail
A 3lb drop in the weights can spark a win for this 10-1 pick at Wolverhampton
My NAP for Grand National-winning trainer has bags of potential over fences
Sir Alex Ferguson launches fresh assault on racing’s biggest prizes with old ally
A third replied: "Bloody hell."
A fourth responded: "I hope he’s okay 🤞🏼."
While a fifth said: "Poor fella doesn't look a youngster either that gotta hurt."
Source: Read Full Article