JENSON BROOKSBY has been hit with an 18-month ban after missing three drug tests.
The American tennis star will be unable to compete until January 2025, with his ban having been backdated to July this year.
Brooksby, 22, is adjudged to have missed three doping tests within a 12-month period.
He disputes the second missed test, although an independent tribunal found him to have had a "high" degree of responsibility after reviewing evidence.
Brooksby has 21 days to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport and intends to do so.
In a statement published to his Instagram account, Brooksby wrote: "I am very disappointed to learn that I have been suspended for 18 months, for having three missed tests.
READ MORE IN TENNIS
Inside 2000-year-old ex-Olympics & Euro final stadium which held 80,000 fans
Raducanu already talking about RETIREMENT as she discusses tennis future
"I understand that it is my responsibility to learn and grow. I accepted that two of my missed tests were my fault, but I continue to maintain that my June 4, 2022 missed test should be set aside.
"On that date, I was in my hotel room for the entirety of my one-hour testing window. The hotel room had been booked for the first part of my stay in the name of my physio (who was staying with me) because the ATP did not provide me with a room until June 4.
"Starting on June 4, the room was in my name, but I had asked that my name be added to the room days before that, and had even given my passport to the hotel front desk when I needed a new key – if my name was not on the room before I showed my passport on June 4, then I'm not sure why the hotel gave me a key.
"For some reason, on the morning of June 4, the hotel told the Doping Control Officer that I had not yet checked in, but they did show him their computer screen which already had my room number listed on it.
Most read in Sport
FAREWELL TO FOOTIE BOSS
Everton chairman who starred on Corrie dies after cancer battle
Brentford set low Toney asking price with Chelsea and Arsenal keen on striker
Stunning OnlyFans & TikTok star claims Man Utd players are sliding into her DMs
OOH LE LE
Premier League legend’s daughter sends fans wild with lacy lingerie post
"Even having that information, the Doping Control Office never asked the hotel to call my room, so I did not know the Doping Control Officer was there to test me – no call was made to my hotel room for the entire hour, and the Doping Control Officer only called my cell phone (which was on silent) in the last four minutes of the testing window (at 6:56am).
"Had the Doping Control Officer called my hotel room, I would have for sure been tested, because I was awake and had nothing to hide."
International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) CEO Karen Moorhouse said: "The whereabouts programme is a vital tool in maintaining a clean sport. No-one wants players to fall foul of the rules in this way."
She then added: "We offer regular support and education to all players who are part of the whereabouts program and make ourselves available to answer any questions.
"We urge all players to take the necessary steps to ensure that they are meticulous with their whereabouts filings."
Brooksby went on to add that he wants to fight his ban, adding: "I intend to appeal this decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
"I have been fighting injuries for almost a year, and my return to the sport I love will unfortunately be delayed a little bit longer.
"But I will be back, and I hope it will be soon."
Brooksby reached a peak ranking of No33 in the world in June 2022.
He began 2023 with a run to the semi-finals in Auckland, losing out to Britain's Cameron Norrie.
Read More on The Sun
I found my amazing daughter, 17, face down, dead in bed – her lips were blue
Strictly legend making 'epic return' – four years after quitting
The former Baylor University player then reached the third round of the Australian Open, taking out Christopher O'Connell and world No3 Casper Ruud before losing to Tommy Paul.
Brooksby has not played since his run in Melbourne.
Source: Read Full Article