OVER having to buy prescription sunglasses? The best clip-on sunglasses simply clip onto your glasses frames for instant shade relief.
If you're new to clip-ons, you might be forgiven for assuming they'd surely be lacking in the style department – but we've shopped around for you and found a plethora of designs that are bang on-trend and will look great with your regular pair.
Having a good set of clip-on sunglasses can save you money in the long run, compared to forking out for expensive prescription sunglasses on top of your standard specs.
It also saves you from having to carry around two pairs and is far more convenient when you're in and out of the sun: no more constant switching of glasses and sunglasses!
If you're ready to try them out, we've rounded up the best clip-on sunglasses below with some amazing women's, men's, unisex and kids' finds.
Best clip-on-sunglasses at a glance:
- Best value unisex pair: TERAISE Flip up HD Polarized Unisex Clip On Sunglasses
- Best 180 degree flip-up: YAMEIZE Fashion Clip on Sunglasses for Women Men
- Best designer splurge: Ray-Ban RB6355 Clip-On
- Best fashion pair for men: John Henric Sunglasses Mykonos, Gold clip-on
- Best fashion pair for women: Sting AGST378 Clip-On Only Polarized AH9P
- Best for kids: Polaroid PLD K005 CL-ON Kids Clip-on Only Polarized 1ED/M9
- Best chunky frame: Police APLD56 Clip-On Only 700P
1. TERAISE Flip up HD Polarized Unisex Clip On Sunglasses
- TERAISE Flip up HD Polarized Unisex Clip On Sunglasses, £12.59 from Amazon – buy here
Featuring a stylish aviator design, these clip-on sunglasses by TERAISE are equipped with anti-glare protection to block ultraviolet rays: perfect for driving and outdoor activities.
When worn, they can be flipped up by 270° should you need to quickly switch to your normal glasses.
Handily, they come with a storage case as well as a cleaning cloth, polarization test card and an 18-month warranty for worry-free use.
Most read in Shopping
The Oodie unveils incredible Disney themed collection
Ninja fans rave about 'game changer' 10.4L Foodi FlexDrawer air fryer
This Morning viewers rush to buy 'amazing' John Lewis garden set now on sale
Shoppers rave about 'game changer' sex toy now on sale PLUS get extra 15% off
Shop the black design or try the yellow or green-tinted lenses for a more statement look.
2. YAMEIZE Fashion Clip on Sunglasses for Women Men
- YAMEIZE Fashion Clip on Sunglasses for Women Men, £10.99 from Amazon – buy here
These clip-on sunglasses feature a fun gradient purple design which will look amazing at this summer's festivals – with gradient blue and gradient red also available to shop.
The polarized lenses offer UV protection including UVA, UVB and UVC, while the 180-degree flip-up design promises to be shatter-proof, wear-resistant and scratch-proof.
And price-wise, they're a bargain compared to buying a prescription pair of sunglasses.
"Was pleasantly surprised. Fit my glasses perfectly, work great", writes one happy shopper.
- Best SPF for faces
- Best men's summer shirts
- Best control swimwear for women
- Best women's hiking shorts
- Best microfibre beach towels
3. Quechua Category 3 Clip-On Lenses for Prescription Glasses
- Quechua Category 3 Clip-On Lenses for Prescription Glasses, £11.99 from Decathlon – buy here
Equipped with category 3 polarising lenses, these Quechua clip-on sunglasses offer 100% UV protection and will fit most pairs of glasses.
They're designed with hiking in mind, so although the clip-on fastening looks a little bulkier than others, you can be sure that it won't budge.
4. Boots Overclip Sunglasses – Rimless Frame
- Boots Overclip Sunglasses – Rimless Frame, £5 from Boots – buy here
"Fit my glasses a treat. I’ve tried prescription sun glasses which were ok but I’m sure I’ll use these more. They are as light as a feather & don’t know they are there," raves a shopper about these Boots clip-ons.
The category 3 polarised lenses in solid smoke will help to reduce glare and the rimless design will look great over a slightly larger frame.
5. Ray-Ban RB6355 Clip-On
- Ray-Ban RB6355 Clip-On, £66 from Ray-Ban – buy here
You just know clip-on sunglasses are back big time when you can pick up a pair from Ray-Ban.
And while these are a bit more of an investment – if you love the brand, it'll still work out cheaper than having to renew your sunnies every time your prescription changes.
6. Ray-Ban Round Fleck Clip-On
- Ray-Ban Round Fleck Clip-On, £85 from Ray-Ban – buy here
A modern flash of gradient colour is all it takes to bring Ray-Ban's classic round lenses into the 21st century.
You'll love the black frame and mirrored gradient of these clip-on sunglasses, while the fine metal structure is ultra-sleek and statement.
7. Ray-Ban RB5228 Clip-On
- Ray-Ban RB5228 Clip-On, £66 from Ray-Ban – buy here
Prefer Ray-Ban's square sunnies? Opt for the brand's RB5228 clip-on style which showcases a smooth acetate frame.
Available with green, brown or gradient lenses, we're loving the brown lens and gunmetal frame combo which will add some cool style on top of your ordinary glasses.
8. John Henric Sunglasses Mykonos, Gold Clip-on
- John Henric Sunglasses Mykonos, Gold clip-on, now £47 (was £79) from John Henric – buy here
Swedish lifestyle menswear brand, John Henric, has some seriously suave clip-ons in stock – like this UV400-equipped round style, available in three colourways.
One five-star review enthuses that, "The sunglasses’ quality is very good" before noting: "But the size was smaller than expected! Keep on doing good work!"
9. Sting AGST378 Clip-On Only Polarized AH9P
- Sting AGST378 Clip-On Only Polarized AH9P, £39 from SmartBuyGlasses – buy here
We know…we can't believe these are clip-on sunglasses either!
The style stakes are seriously high with this retro-shaped cat eye pair from Sting.
As well as Tortoise, they're also available in classic black. So chic!
10. Lozza AL4287V Polarized Clip-on Only P79P
- Lozza AL4287V Polarized Clip-on Only P79P, £46 from SmartBuyGlasses – buy here
Another great fashion pair, these clear plastic clip-on sunglasses feature a grey polarized lens and Category 2 UV protection.
Even better, they come with a two-year warranty for peace of mind.
11. Sting AGST407 Clip-On Only Polarized Z42P
- Sting AGST407 Clip-On Only Polarized Z42P, £39 from SmartBuyGlasses – buy here
Nothing beats a classic black pair of cat eye sunglasses: it's a timeless style that adds instant glamour to any outfit.
Now you can add them as clip-ons to your everyday vision glasses thanks to this stylish design by Sting, complete with Category 3 UV protection.
12. Police APLC53V Clip-On Only Polarized 909P
- Police APLC53V Clip-On Only Polarized 909P, now £50 (was £83) from SmartBuyGlasses – buy here
Italian sunglasses specialist, Police, has been around since 1983 so it certainly knows what it's doing when it comes to sunnies.
These clip-on frames are bang on trend and are reduced in the sale. Don't miss out!
13. Polaroid PLD K005 CL-ON Kids Clip-on Only Polarized 1ED/M9
- Polaroid PLD K005 CL-ON Kids Clip-on Only Polarized 1ED/M9 , £41 from SmartBuyGlasses – buy here
Kids can get in on the clip-on sunglasses fun with these funky plastic frames by Polaroid.
Available in green, blue, red and pink, they have Category 3 UV protection to shield little eyes.
14. Sting AGST392 Clip-On Only 0300
- Sting AGST392 Clip-On Only 0300, £39 from SmartBuyGlasses – buy here
We're loving Sting's fashion-forward approach to clip-on sunglasses, and this is another must-have pair to covet.
Featuring a gold-tone metal frame, the gradient grey lens is ultra-chic while there's also a gold mirrored version to shop.
15. Police APLD56 Clip-On Only 700P
- Police APLD56 Clip-On Only 700P, now £67 (was £83) from SmartBuyGlasses – buy here
This style by Police is a versatile unisex style that feels youthful and on-trend – ideal for adding some quirkiness to an outfit.
The chunky frame hides the clip-on fastening nicely, and will easily cover your glasses underneath.
Are clip-on sunglasses any good?
Providing you go for a pair that are sturdy and fit over your glasses properly – then yes!
In our opinion, they're a really convenient option if you'd rather not fork out on prescription sunglasses.
Plus with many styles featuring a flip-up fit, you'll be able to pop them up out of your eyes if you're doing something that involves being in and out of the sun. Far easier than switching back and forth between your prescription glasses and sunglasses!
What should I look for in clip-on sunglasses?
The key to functionality is a pair that won't scratch up your glasses underneath. For this, you'll need to ensure that the mechanism that clips the glasses in place is properly protected with no exposed metal – reading customer reviews is always a great way to check this.
Lenses that are polarised for anti-glare are another feature to look out for, plus pay attention to the category rating of UV protection. Category 3 sunglasses are the most common.
Read More on The Sun
I’m an ex-paramedic – the dangerous food that acts like a plug on a child’s airway
Peter Andre reveals sad ‘real reason’ he never has birthday parties
Where to buy the best clip-on sunglasses?
There's no need to visit an optician specifically to buy clip-on sunglasses – as a fashion style, they sit over your prescription sunglasses so you can find them on the high street as well as all over the place online.
In our search, we found some great options from retailers like Amazon, Ray-Ban and John Henric – and we particularly loved SmartBuyGlasses for its range of more on-trend styles from brands like Sting.
Looking for more stylish savings at your favourite fashion chains? Visit Sun Vouchers where you’ll find amazing discounts and voucher codes for hundreds of fashion retailers including ASOS, Very, River Island, Roman Originals, New Look and more.
Source: Read Full Article