Woman, 33, has died after crowd crush at Brixton Academy

Woman, 33, has died after being injured in crowd crush at Brixton Academy when ticketless fans stormed venue as women aged 21 and 23 continue to fight for life

  • Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, died in hospital this morning after being injured in a crush
  • Two others remain in critical condition after the incident at Brixton 02 Academy
  • The crush unfolded during Nigerian singer Asake’s concert on Thursday evening

A 33-year-old woman has died after being injured in a crowd crush at the Brixton O2 Academy when 3,000 ticketless fans stormed the venue.

Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, died in hospital this morning after being critically injured in the crush, which unfolded during Nigerian singer Asake’s concert on Thursday evening.

The Metropolitan Police said two other women, aged 21 and 23, remain in a critical condition. Asake has said he is ‘praying’ for those injured.

A post-mortem examination will be held tomorrow at Greenwich Public Mortuary, the police spokesperson added.

Video footage shows a large crowd gathered outside the Brixton O2 Academy on Thursday

Nigerian star Asake’s (pictured) concert descended into chaos after fans were filmed clashing with police outside Brixton’s O2 Academy

 Speaking at the scene yesterday, Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove, policing commander for Lambeth and Southwark, said: ‘I’d like to extend my sympathies to all those who have been affected. Having seen some of the really upsetting images on social media our thoughts are with them.

‘An urgent investigation is currently under way led by detectives from our Specialist Crime Command and cordons remain in place as officers continue to work at the scene. This is still a fast moving and evolving picture and we are working to establish the events that led up to the incident.

‘We are also aware of a vast amount of footage on social media and of course this will be examined as part of the investigation along with footage from officers’ body worn video cameras.

‘We are working incredibly closely with our partners and community members and would like to thank them for their support so far in the investigation. We would also like to thank people for coming forward with information.

‘We have set up an online page for the submission of photos and videos. There were around 4,000 potential witnesses present at the time of this incident and we want to urge any members of the public with information to come forward. We need your information as we try to establish what happened as quickly as we can.’

Any witnesses who are yet to speak with police are asked to call 101 ref 6725/15Dec.

Emergency services attended the Brixton O2 Academy on Thursday night to reports a number of people had been injured

Meanwhile, the force has insisted that there is ‘no evidence of misconduct’ against a Met Police officer who was filmed pushing a reveller down stairs outside the O2 Academy.

However the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said it will review the footage as part of its own probe into the chaotic scenes on Thursday evening.

It comes as an MP is calling for answers to what led to a suspected crowd crush, stating that ‘ticketing and security procedures have not performed as they should have’. 

Florence Eshalomi, Labour MP for Vauxhall, said in a statement posted on Twitter: ‘It is very clear ticketing and security procedures have not performed as they should have for this incident to have occurred.

‘We need answers about exactly how this happened and safeguards against it in future. This will be fully investigated by Specialist Crime detectives, supported by Lambeth Council’s Licensing Unit.’

She added: ‘This is a deeply concerning incident and has turned an experience which should have been a celebration into a very sad day.

‘My thoughts are with those caught up in the crush last night, in particular those that remain in hospital. My central hope is for their full recovery.’

The scene outside the Brixton O2 Academy in south London yesterday morning

Belgian band 2manydjs was forced to cancel their 20th anniversary party at the O2 Academy Brixton tonight.

A statement shared on Twitter yesterday said: ‘It is with pain in our hearts that we have to announce that due to the terrible events that happened at O2 Academy Brixton last night, we are being forced to postpone tomorrow’s show. The new date will be on Sat 18th Feb and all tickets will be transferable or refundable.

‘We understand that many of you are travelling from afar to make it to London for this, but hopefully you will all be available again to celebrate on this new date. Our hearts go out to those who were injured. Love Dave & Steph.’

A concertgoer who narrowly avoided being crushed by crowds told how she watched one girl almost die in front of her.

Vicky Osinlaru, a 27-year-old radio presenter from Croydon, suffered a panic attack when hordes of ticketless fans forced entry into the iconic South London music venue to see Nigerian artist Asake.

Miss Osinlaru took refuge in the first aid room and watched as medics battled to save the life of one reveller.

Afrobeats singer Asake released a statement on Instagram this morning

Asake asked fans on Sunday not to attend if they did not have a ticket, adding that none were for sale on the door

She told MailOnline: ‘I could see there was something happening in the ticketing hall. I went out and saw that the security were literally holding onto the front doors for their lives.

‘The doors were shaking and all of a sudden, they burst open. I remember a man, wide-eyed with shock, shout ‘Thank God for my life’ as he collapsed on the floor. He didn’t have his shoes on and was completely breathless.

‘Then another woman was brought in, she looked to be aged in her late 20s, wearing jeans and a top but she was unconscious. She didn’t even appear to be breathing.

‘Her face was lifeless as she was laid down on the floor by a medic who gave her CPR for about 20-minutes to half-an-hour.

‘They were giving her chest compressions, really sting pumps to the chest, but from what I could tell there was very little sign of life.

‘Eventually the ambulance arrived and the medics were continuing CPR to save her life as they escorted her out.

‘I don’t know what happened to her but I really hope she pulls through.

‘It was so traumatic to witness something like that, I haven’t been able to sleep at all because it’s been playing on my mind.

‘I’ve been to the O2 on numerous occasions but there were so many fans who had come to see Asake and because it was his last night playing in Brixton, people didn’t want to miss out.

‘But what happened last night was horrific, people were seriously, seriously hurt.’

Source: Read Full Article