THE QUEEN'S Platinum Jubilee is just around the corner and the UK is all set and ready to host an all-exciting four-day bank holiday weekend.
This is all you need to know about the Platinum Jubilee bank holiday weekend.
When is the Platinum Jubilee bank holiday?
Brits can enjoy an extra bank holiday in 2022, scheduled for Friday, June 3.
The late May Bank Holiday will move to June 2 to make it a four-day weekend running from Thursday, June 2, to Sunday, June 5.
And hopefully the June dates will mean a better chance of good weather.
The late May bank holiday is traditionally on the last Monday in the month.
Read More on Platinum Jubilee
Your essential guide to the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee weekend
Here’s how to live stream The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee parade
Why are we having an extra bank holiday?
The additional holiday is to mark the Queen’s 70th year on the throne.
It will be the first time a British monarch has reached a Platinum Jubilee.
The milestone will be marked with a "once-in-a-generation show" over a special four-day Bank Holiday weekend, Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden announced.
As of February 6, 2022, Queen Elizabeth II celebrated a 70 years reign – the first time a British sovereign will have been on the throne for seven decades.
MORE ON HER MAJESTY
Kate's 'shock statement about Meghan & Harry' on eve of their return
This is where you can find the Royal Yacht Britannia
Greene King to sell 6p pints today – how to get one
How Lester Piggott was Queen's favourite jockey – but was also troubled loner
But her ascension, February 6, 1952is also the day her King George VI died and not a date the head of state would wish to base celebrations around.
But June 2 is a special day for the Queen as it was the day of her coronation in 1953 – over a year after her father's death.
Therefore the first week in June has been chosen for the Platinum weekend, just like the Queen's Golden and Diamond Jubilees.
Plans are in place to stage a series of events across four days, from June 2-5, 2022.
The celebrations will reflect the Queen's reign and her impact on the UK and the world since her accession to the throne in 1952.
The Government and Buckingham Palace are planning an extensive programme of events in cities across the UK and the Commonwealth.
All you need to know about Queen Elizabeth…
The Queen has reigned for more than 70 years, becoming the longest-serving British monarch. But what else do we know about her?
- How old is The Queen?
- Who are The Queen's grandchildren?
- Who are The Queen's great grandchildren?
- Why was Queen Elizabeth called Lilibet?
- Who was The Queen's father George VI?
- What properties does The Queen own?
- What does ER stand for in the Queen's signature?
- What is Trooping the Colour?
- Were The Queen and Prince Philip cousins?
Get all the latest news on Queen Elizabeth II right here
The Queen hopes as many people as possible will have the opportunity to join celebrations marking her Platinum Jubilee in 2022, Buckingham Palace has said.
A huge national pudding competition will make up some of the celebrations, while thousands of jubilee lunches will be held to honour Britain's longest ever reigning monarch.
A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said: "The Platinum Jubilee offers an opportunity for the Queen to express her thanks for the support and loyalty Her Majesty has received throughout her reign.
"The Queen hopes that as many people as possible will have the opportunity to join the celebrations."
The Culture Secretary said: "Her Majesty's Platinum Jubilee will be a truly historic moment – and one that deserves a celebration to remember.
"We can all look forward to a special, four-day Jubilee weekend, when we will put on a spectacular, once-in-a-generation show that mixes the best of British ceremonial splendour with cutting edge art and technology.
Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
Everything to know about the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- When is the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee 2022?
- When is the 4-day bank holiday in 2022?
- How old is the Queen and why does she have two birthdays?
- Queen’s Platinum Jubilee order of events: What happens on the day?
- How to live stream The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee parade
- When is the Platinum Party at the Palace and how to watch on BBC?
- Platinum Jubilee concert line-up: Who is performing for The Queen’s show?
- When is the Big Windsor lunch at Windsor Castle and who’s going?
- What is The Big Jubilee Lunch and how can I organise a street party for the Queen’s Platinum celebrations?
- How to watch the Platinum Jubilee Beacons near me?
- Queen’s Jubilee bank holiday opening times 2022: All the changes for shops including Waitrose, Tesco and John Lewis
- What time will pubs open and close for The Queen's Platinum Jubilee?
- What souvenirs and gifts can I buy to mark the Platinum Jubilee?
- God Save The Queen lyrics: What are the words to the National Anthem?
"It will bring the entire nation and the Commonwealth together in a fitting tribute to Her Majesty's reign."
Members of the Royal Family are expected to take part in the celebrations over the extended weekend and in the run-up to the four-day extravaganza.
In keeping with tradition, a Platinum Jubilee medal will be awarded to people who work in public service, including representatives of the Armed Forces, the emergency services and the prison services.
The Royal Household and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) are organising the commemorations which are being developed with some of the UK's leading creative minds, event organisers and world class digital design companies.
The DCMS has said "spectacular" moments in London and other major cities will be complemented by events in communities across the UK and the Commonwealth.
Dowden said: "It will be a truly historic moment for the country – and one that deserves a celebration to remember.
"After an incredibly difficult year, we all need something to look forward to together."
How many bank holidays do we get in 2022?
To create the four-day weekend in June 2022, the late May Spring bank holiday – which would have been on Monday, May 30 – will be moved to Thursday, June 2, and an additional Bank Holiday will be added on Friday, June 3
This will bring the total number of public holidays for England and Wales in 2022 to nine days.
Read More on The Sun
I’m a makeup artist, here’s 5 things we want to tell you but don’t
My flat is so small my kids have to eat on the FLOOR & it’s covered in toxic mould
This is the full list of the bank holidays to be celebrated in 2022:
- January 3 – New Year's Day (Substitute Day)
- April 15 – Good Friday
- April 18 – Easter Sunday
- May 2 – Early May Bank Holiday
- June 2 – Spring Bank Holiday
- June 3 – Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday
- August 29 – Summer Bank Holiday
- December 26 – Boxing Day
- December 27 – Christmas Day (Substitute Day)
Scotland traditionally has nine bank holidays and Northern Ireland has ten.
Source: Read Full Article