Six-week-old baby girl died after being found stuck between sofa and wall by devastated dad, inquest hears | The Sun

A SIX-WEEK-OLD baby girl has died after being found stuck between a sofa and a wall by her devastated dad, an inquest has heard.

Cassidy Blossom Oakley was sadly found unresponsive on the floor after the tragic accident which left her trapped in September last year.

The hearing heard how Cassidy had fallen asleep downstairs at their home in Runcorn, Liverpool, around 9.30pm.

Dad Jacob said he was woken by a "higher force" on the night of the tragedy.

Cassidy's heartbroken parents paid tribute to their daughter at the hearing yesterday.

In a statement read out to the court, written by Jacob and Cassidy's mum Megan, they said Cassidy was their "bright, blue eyed baby girl", reports BirminghamLive.

Read more in UK news

I found out my daughter, 14, had died when I drove past the police tape

Mum-of-two, 60, found murdered alongside body of man, 66, in quiet street

Megan said: "I went up to bed shortly after. I said my usual 'goodnight, I love you, sweet dreams princess'.

"I gave her extra hugs and kisses and was next awoken at 11pm with Jacob shouting my name begging me to help him."

Mum Megan said she jumped out of bed "confused" but "soon realised how serious the situation was" when she saw Cassidy not breathing in her dad's arms.

Megan added: “Our baby girl could never have rolled over by herself, she was only six weeks old.

Most read in UK News


Mum-of-two, 60, found murdered alongside body of man, 66, in quiet street


School said my son's Asda shoes are unacceptable… they offered to buy a new pair


Shocking moment McDonald's customer is knocked to the ground with one punch


Mum's heartbreaking words to tragic Olivia at murdered daughter's at funeral

The hearing heard there was no explanation for how Cassidy had been found in that position.

The hearing was told how both parents attempted CPR until paramedics arrived.

Cassidy was then rushed to Warrington Hospital where she regained a heartbeat but sadly was not "breathing responsively".

The hearing was told Cassidy had suffered a second cardiac arrest which was likely due to low oxygen levels.

Cassidy's parents said they stayed by her side and other family members recorded messages to be played for her.


The inquest heard there were signs of "catastrophic damage to her brain" which sadly meant she was "brain dead".

And after four days, the difficult decision was made to turn off the life support.

Cassidy died peacefully with her parents by her side on September 9.

Assistant coroner Heath Westerman concluded by saying there were "no pathological findings to explain Cassidy's passing" and there was no evidence of heart defects or seizures causing her to die.

On Cassidy's positioning, he added: "I can't speculate as to whether she ended up there by her own movements or those by her father who was asleep next to her."

I'm so deeply sorry for your loss as a family

Cassidy's death was therefore ruled as an accident.

The coroner said: "I'm so deeply sorry for your loss as a family, but in particular Mr and Mrs Oakley and the suffering you've all been through, I can't begin to imagine what that must've been like.

"I only hope you eventually come out of that process able to remember Cassidy with fondness rather than the manner in which she sadly passed away. My heart goes out to all of you."

The inquest was told how there was "no requirement for further safeguarding", and a police investigation found no evidence of criminality.

Source: Read Full Article