Sarah Everard cops seal off wooded area & scour water in Dover in new location search as murder investigation continues

COPS have sealed off a wooded area and scoured water in Dover today as part of a fresh search during the Sarah Everard murder investigation.

Sarah, 33, went missing while walking home in Clapham, south London on March 3.

🔵 Follow our live blog for the latest Sarah Everard news and developments

Met Police officer Wayne Couzens, 48, has been charged with her murder.

Drone teams put in a no-fly zone above the area in Dover, Kent, and sealed the area off from the public.

Dive crews were seen entering the water as part of the search.

Officers were also seen in scrub below the Western Heights of Dover on North Military Road.

Cops have searched four different sites in Kent during the investigation into Sarah's alleged killing.

It comes as an inquest was opened into Sarah's death.

The hearing in Maidstone, Kent, was told this morning how her boyfriend raised the alarm when Sarah missed a work meeting.

Senior coroner Patricia Harding opened proceedings in Maidstone, Kent, this morning as police continue their investigations into what happened to the marketing executive.

The coroner commissioned a second post-mortem examination yesterday after the first proved inconclusive.

Ms Harding told the hearing at the County Hall that "the pathologist has not given a medical cause of death".

But she confirmed no natural disease was found which would have caused her death and checks and tests will continue to establish how she died.

The senior coroner added: "The body has now been released to the family so that a funeral can take place."


Sarah's mum, dad, brother and sister attended the hearing remotely.

She told her family: "It only leaves me to say to the family members who are watching these proceedings how very sorry I am for your loss."

DI Lee Tullett, who is investigating the case, said the alarm was raised when Sarah failed to attend a meeting the following day, reports Kent Live.

He said: "From her last movements we have ascertained she attended a friend from university's address for dinner in Clapham in south London.

"She left about 9pm. She made an approximately 15-minute phone call which terminated at 9.27pm.

"There was no further activity we have been able to establish on her phone, and no social media presence either.

"She failed to attend a meeting at work the following day. It was all very much out of character and at that point her boyfriend Josh grew concerned having not heard from her for some time.

"A missing person enquiry was started on Thursday March 4 and continued into Friday and onwards.

"From our enquiries we were able to some degree to plot Sarah's route on her way home."

Sarah's body had to be identified by dental records after being found in a builder's bag in Kent, it is said.

Meanwhile, in Kent, a large police presence has been seen in the town of Sandwich as officers continue to search for clues.

On Monday, police were seen searching a shopping trolley shelter outside a Co-operative supermarket and looking under vehicles.

Specialist divers have been called up from Devon and Cornwall and have been combing a small stretch of water.

Sarah's heartbroken family saw Couzens for the first on Tuesday when he appeared at the Old Bailey.

They watched remotely as the married dad-of-two – wearing a red sweatshirt and grey jogging bottoms – spoke to confirm his name, date of birth and address.

He appeared to have a large cut on his head and rocked back and forth during the hearing.


Boris Johnson agreed Sarah’s death must be a “watershed moment” to help prevent violence towards females.

The PM and Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer yesterday vowed to work together for “cultural and social change”.

Mr Johnson said the killing of marketing executive Sarah “has triggered a reaction I believe is wholly justified and understandable”.

Sir Keir Starmer called for a specific new law on street harassment and also for toughening the law on stalking.

Source: Read Full Article