PRINCE Harry was forced to make his own way home to Balmoral after being refused a seat on his brother's flight.
The Duke of Sussex was the first royal to leave the Scottish estate and had been the last to arrive after he flew up as news emerged of his grandmother’s failing health.
His departure came as it emerged King Charles, 73, and sister Anne, the Princess Royal, 72, were the only royals who managed to see the Queen before she died.
Her two eldest children were in Scotland when her health dipped and both dashed to be by her bedside and say their final farewells.
Yesterday, Harry, 37, was clearly still racked with grief as he arrived back at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor to be reunited with Meghan.
Photographs showed him glassy-eyed and with his hand over his mouth as, like the rest of nation, he tried to take in the tragic events.
READ MORE ON THE QUEEN’S DEATH
Charles named King in first-ever televised ceremony this morning
Touching moment Charles is consoled by airport worker who comforted Harry
It is understood Harry was at Frogmore when Charles told him in a phone call from the dying Queen’s bedside not to bring Meghan with him to Balmoral.
A source said: “Charles told Harry that it wasn’t right or appropriate for Meghan to be in Balmoral at such a deeply sad time.
“It was pointed out to him that Kate was not going and that the numbers really should be limited to the very closest family. Charles made it very, very clear Meghan would not be welcome.”
Out-of-favour Harry was also refused a seat on the RAF plane that took his brother Prince William and his uncles Prince Edward and Prince Andrew up to Scotland.
Most read in The Sun
BBC Breakfast viewers slam Naga Munchetty after blunder over King Charles III
Bank Holiday for Queen's funeral CONFIRMED – when will you get a day off?
Cause of Darius Campbell Danesh's tragic death confirmed by medical examiner
Charles told Harry 'it wasn't right' for Meghan to see Queen at Balmoral
Harry and Meghan had announced on Thursday lunchtime, without consulting the rest of the family, that they would be “travelling to Scotland” together.
But Harry agreed to go alone after the intervention. As a result, he had to find his own plane and the delay meant he did not arrive at Balmoral until 7.52pm — nearly 90 minutes after it was announced to the public that the Queen had died.
At 8.20am yesterday — just over 12 hours later — he was back on the road to Aberdeen Airport to catch the first BA flight to Heathrow.
As he arrived at the airport, he was consoled by an airline worker in a hi-vis jacket and they shared a tender moment before he boarded the plane. He sat with a security guard and remained subdued throughout the flight.
'So sad to see him without the other royals'
One passenger told The Sun: “He barely moved for the whole hour-long flight and was obviously reflecting on his beloved grandmother.
“It was so sad to see him without the other royals to comfort him. I really hope the Queen’s death will help them heal their rifts.”
The California-based Harry and Meghan were in the UK for a series of charity events when they announced their plans to travel to Balmoral together.
They had been due to attend the WellChild Awards in London but cancelled as soon as they heard of the Queen’s declining health. A spokesman for the couple had said: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be travelling to Scotland.”
However, after Charles spoke with Harry, it was later announced that he would be making the trip alone. It is understood Harry looked at flying up by helicopter before finding a private jet to take him.
But he was several hours behind other royals after being refused a seat on their plane, which took off from RAF Northolt at 2.39pm and landed in Aberdeen at 3.50pm.
There were just seven passengers on board — William, Andrew, Edward and his wife Sophie, plus three aides. That left 12 empty seats on the Dassault Falcon jet. It is understood the royals had all travelled from their homes near Windsor Castle and would have passed close to Frogmore Cottage.
Prince William was less than half-a-mile away at Adelaide Cottage while Prince Andrew was three miles away in his Royal Lodge home. Prince Edward and Sophie were a 15-minute drive away at Bagshot Park.
William also made his way back to Windsor separately to Harry in yet another display of the gulf between the once close princes.
“Even if you just look at the last few weeks, they’ve had the Duchess once again making outspoken remarks in interviews. They seem quite detached from reality, living in a sort of LA bubble. It is incredible really.”
Last night, they were once again in their neighbouring cottages but The Sun understands there has been little, if any, communication between them.
It comes as a source told The Telegraph: “I think the general reaction to Harry and Meghan’s behaviour has been one of incredulity, to be honest.
But perhaps in an attempt to defuse any tensions over Meghan’s absence in Scotland, King Charles made a point of name-checking them both yesterday in his first TV address to the nation.
The new monarch said: “I express my love for Prince Harry and Meghan as they continue to build their lives overseas.”
Several senior royals remained at Balmoral Castle after spending a day of “quiet reflection” yesterday, a source revealed.
While Charles, William and Harry all left for London in the morning, Anne, Edward, Sophie and Andrew were still in Scotland.
It was understood those family members who stayed held a private gathering in the castle to remember the monarch. A source told The Sun: “Senior royals spent a day of quiet reflection at Balmoral. The family came together to remember her life.”
Outside the main gates of the sprawling estate in the Scottish Highlands, hundreds of wellwishers arrived throughout the day to pay tribute to Her Majesty.
Read More on The Sun
Bank Holiday for Queen’s funeral CONFIRMED – when will you get a day off?
How Charles becoming King will change cash, passports and the judges
Aberdeenshire Council set up a park and ride service from nearby Ballater and Braemar, bussing in people to pay their respects, while many who did drive there abandoned their cars on grass verges.
An army of volunteers ushered mourners to the site, where a carpet of flowers, drawings and messages were left. One read: “Our Queen. Your job here is done. Rest Easy.”
Source: Read Full Article