Missing 4-year-old Montana boy survived by taking cover in shed

Missing three-year-old Montana boy, who was found alive after two days in sub-zero temperatures, took cover in a shed and slept in a lawnmower bag for warmth after wandering 2.4 miles from his home

  • Ryker Webb, 3, was missing for two days in northwest Montana 
  • After an extensive search the toddler was found Sunday near Pine Ridge Road and South Fork Bull River Road, about 2.4 miles from where he went missing 
  • A couple who had heard a whimper from a nearby shed went to go investigate and found Ryker tucked into the lawnmower bag sleeping
  • The child was last seen in his yard playing with the family dog on Friday 
  • A concerned neighbor called 911 and it was determined the child had already been missing for two hours at that time 
  • Ryker was taken to Cabinet Peaks Medical Center for evaluation

A missing three-year-old boy, who spent two days in the Montana wilderness in near-freezing temperatures, sought shelter in an empty log cabin and kept himself warm inside a lawnmower bag, he used as a sleeping bag.

On Sunday night, little Ryker Webb was miraculously rescued.

He was found in a shed near Pine Ridge Road and South Forth Bull River Road in Sanders County, Montana, only 2.4 miles away from his home, officials said. 

A couple heard the sound of whimpers from a log cabin in the woods. When they went to investigate they found the toddler tucked into the lawnmower bag.

The adorable red headed blue-eyed boy had only been dressed in a light blue onsie that had been covered in dirt and grime with numerous holes by his footsies.

He had some bruises on his face and looked pale, fatigued, and appeared dehydrated but he was alive. 

Emergency personnel transported him to Cabinet Peaks Medical Center for evaluation. 

Lincoln County Sheriff Darren Short said the boy appeared to be in  ‘a state of shock, and frightened,’ when he was found.

Short said during a Tuesday appearance on News Nation that the boy ‘is doing fine now.’

‘He was out there all by himself hearing the rain and wind, and not sure how he was going to be able to get home,’ Short said.   

Once the thunderstorms in the area started on Friday, Short said, Ryker took shelter.

‘I truly believe that he took cover in that shed from Friday evening until he was found on Sunday,’ he said.

Ryker was taken to Cabinet Peaks Medical Center for evaluation. He was hungry, tired, and dehydrated when he was found. He also appeared to be disoriented and in a state of shock, the sheriff said, after surviving two long days in near freezing temperatures with no food or water

Ryker Webb, 3, had gone missing for almost two days from his Montana home. He had been reported missing on Friday and was found on Sunday after a couple heard whimpering in a shed near their property 

Ryker was first reported missing Friday afternoon south of Troy, Montana, after wandering from his home on East side Bull Lake.

He had been playing in the yard with his father and his dog. 

When Ryker’s father stepped inside their home for a few minutes, Ryker had wandered off.

His frantic father started searching for his son on their property, and the neighboring properties. A concerned neighbor called police. 

A Code Red Alert was sent out to all neighbors in the vicinity, asking that they search their own properties and structures.

A missing person report was disseminated nationwide, and multiple agencies were involved. 

The two-day search for the missing boy included air, drones, dog teams, and more than fifty volunteers. Search teams were deployed and ATV riders, and a boat unit were also on the lake to aid in the search. 

Two Montana National Guard helicopters joined search efforts along with drones from Flathead County and the Spokane Police Department.  

However, the sheriff’s office said it was ‘extremely difficult to get the additional air assets into the Bull Lake valley due to very poor weather conditions which consisted of rain, low visibility, and low ceiling.’       

Lincoln County Sheriff Darren Short spoke to News Nation and expressed gratitude that the boy was found safe and unharmed after being lost in the Montana wilderness for two days

Search teams were deployed over the two-day short that included multiple agencies using drones, dog teams and a boat unit, and more than 50 volunteers 

The sheriff told News Nation that one of their issues during their search for Ryker,  was that the initial missing persons report came in on Friday at 4:43 pm., which had been two hours after the boy had gone missing. 

 Short said Ryker had already had ‘quite a lead on them,’ when deputies and volunteers went searching.

On Sunday, less than 48 hours after he wandered off, Ryker was miraculously found in an empty log cabin a few miles from home.

Once the sheriff got to the boy he asked him a few questions that the toddler answered honestly.

‘I asked him, if he’d been on a walk?’

 Ryker  said, ‘Yes!’

‘When I asked if the walk was long?’

Ryker replied, ‘Yes. 

‘When I asked if he was tired?’

The boy said  ‘Very tired.’

 Short, who was grateful that the boy was home safe and back with his family, expressed gratitude for all the law enforcement official’s and volunteer who helped.  

The sheriff also seemed quite impressed with little Ryker’s survival skills.

Source: Read Full Article