Girl, 4, burns hole in her tongue eating 'warhead' sour sweets

A four-year-old girl was left with a severe burn on her tongue after eating sour sweets.

Willow Wright said it ‘felt like her skin was coming off’ after she raided her older brother’s Warhead candy.

The young Australian snuck into the cupboard while mum Kirsty was working upstairs and ate around 10 of the sweets, which are marketed as being ‘extremely sour.’

She quickly developed a burning reaction in her mouth and ran in tears to her mother.

Kirsty, who has shared pictures of her daughter’s blistered tongue to warn others, told 9 News: ‘I was really worried because I had never seen this before.’

She called her local GP and was told there wasn’t much she could do but the reaction would fade in a few days.

Dentists have warned sour sweets with high levels of acidity can be very dangerous for young children.

Warheads, which are sold in the US and Australia but not the UK, contain four different types of acid; Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Lactic Acid and Malic Acid.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a webbrowser thatsupports HTML5video

Its packaging carries a warning that they shouldn’t be eaten by children under four and eating multiple pieces within a short space of time ‘may cause a temporary irritation.’

Jonathan Teoh, of the Australian Dental Association, told the TV channel: ‘Products with this level of acid or PH can cause chemical burns to the cheeks and the tongue.

‘We do see a lot of trauma and a lot of damage that can be done to teeth and to gums from sour lollies.’

Kirsty added: ‘I literally went on a rampage and threw every lolly out of the house.

‘I just wanted to make it aware to parents how dangerous these lollies actually are.’

On its website, Impact Confections say the ingredients used in the sweets are approved by the U.S Food and Drug Association (FDA) for use in foods and ‘are included at levels at or below regulatory limits.’

It added: ‘We produce only high-quality products that meet all US Federal guidelines for PH levels and ingredients, and when eaten normally, consumers enjoy them with no issues. However, some people may have an increased sensitivity to these ingredients.

‘To ensure a fun and enjoyable eating experience, a voluntary statement is printed on every package warning that the candy is extremely sour and can be an irritation to sensitive mouths and tongues.’

Metro.co.uk has contacted the company for further comment.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article