Distraught parents blast 'pure evil monster' who killed Louise Smith, 16, then burned body in 'sex murder'

THE distraught parents of a 16-year-old girl today blasted the "pure evil monster" who killed her then burned her body in a sexually motivated murder.

Shane Mays smashed his niece Louise Smith's skull in with a log before returning to "destroy" her body in an act of "unimaginable cruelty".

The teenager was discovered two weeks later burnt and "severely decomposed" with her jaw bone completely detached.

Some of her injuries were too gruesome to publish after Mays "violated" her with "breathtaking brutality" as he feared he had got her pregnant.

After killing his niece, brazen Mays went to his mum's home and calmly drank Coke while complaining of stomach pains.

He also popped out for pizza as his wife frantically tried to locate missing Louise – knowing her body lay dead in Havant Thicket, Hants.

"Predatory" Mays later admitted he repeatedly punched the aspiring veterinary nurse until he heard "cracks".


Louise's heartbroken mum Rebecca Cooper slammed the "monster" ahead of his sentencing today at Winchester Crown Court.

She said: "You have taken away a part of my heart away which will never be replaced.

"You killed my daughter Louise in such a traumatic way but then did what you did afterwards is beyond words – you are a monster – what gave you the right to do that?"

Rebecca added: "You came to my house the day you killed her, looked me in the eyes with no remorse when you knew what you had done was pure evil."

Louise's dad Bradley Smith told his daughter's killer he had been "tortured by nightmares" in an emotional victim impact statement.

He added: "I honestly don't think I will ever recover from this".

During the trial, jurors heard "easily-led" Louise had been staying with her aunt and Mays in the two weeks leading up to her death after rowing with her mum.

At first the trio "got on" and Louise wrote in texts to CJ how she wanted to call the pair "mum and dad" and spoke of their "perfect family".

But jurors were told the relationship soured and Louise told a friend Mays was "flirting with her" and that she "hated" living with him.

A Snapchat video was also shown to jurors of Mays "tickling" Louise's feet.

The troubled teen had decided to move out of the one-bedroom flat in Havant and texted a family friend on May 7, saying: "I need your help".

Tragically, Louise had a sudden change of heart after floating the idea of moving with a social worker and ditched her plans to leave that night.

Her final movements were captured on CCTV hours later and she walked with her killer to get a bottle of rum and some Peach Schnapps.

The next day as celebrations marking the 75th anniversary of VE Day rang out around the country, "utterly defenceless" Louise was lured to the woods.

Once there, Mays subjected her to "extreme violence and excruciating, overwhelming pain" as he inflicted "catastrophic" injuries.

The hulking 17-stone beast only stopped when he heard a "moaning" noise coming from the stricken teenager.

The prosecution alleged Mays violated Louise's body because he believed he had got her pregnant and wanted to "silence" her.

But Mays refused to admit he had sex with the teen and a pathologist said there was no sign she pregnant.

After the grisly killing, Mays was seen on CCTV footage at around 3.11pm making his way to his mum's house as Louise's body lay "terribly defiled" in the woods.

As a search was mounted for missing Louise, the fiend popped out to buy four pizzas from Iceland less than two hours after leaving the teen.

Last movements – timeline of Louise’s death

May 7 – Final CCTV images show Louise walking with Mays from Tesco after getting ice, rum and Peach Schnapps

May 8, morning – Louise sends a Snapchat from her phone – the last-ever taken of the teen

May 8, 12pm – Phone evidence showed she left home and headed towards Havant Thicket. CJ later tells a pal she was seen leaving with Mays at midday.

May 8, 12.49pm – A final text is sent from Louise's phone

May 8, 1pm – Louise's phone pings to a phone mast in Havant Thicket

May 8, 3pm – Louise's boyfriend arrives at the Mays house to meet her but she isn't there. CJ 'frantically' calls her

May 8, 4.07pm – Mays goes out to buy pizza as CJ and Louise's boyfriend look for her. He returns home at 5.02pm

May 8, 6.32pm – CJ calls the police and reports Louise missing

May 21, 11.45am – Louise's body is found in Havant Thicket

May 8, onwards – Mays and CJ are visited by police over the next few days. Mays tells officers he would "lock Louise in the bedroom if she returned" and asks if it was "ok to restrain her".

Mays later made a "determined attempt" to destroy her body by returning to it and "building a bonfire" on top of her.

She was discovered two weeks later "severely decomposed" and "unrecognisable".

Prosecutor James Newton-Price QC said: "The burned and decomposed state of Louise's body was such that we cannot say exactly which of her multiple injuries caused her death, but it is clear that her killer lured or persuaded her to walk to a remote location where he attacked her.

"We say you can conclude that this was an act of unimaginable cruelty towards a vulnerable 16 year old girl.

"The shattering of the bones and the structure of her face, including the complete detachment of her jawbone, indicates multiple blows to her head.

"Louise Smith was just 16."

When her body was found, Mays was charged with murder.

He originally told police he had walked with Louise to a skatepark in Emsworth, but later changed his version by admitting to causing her death at Havant Thicket.

It was one of many lies Mays spun in a hapless bid to cover his tracks.

Blood splatters were later found on Mays' trainers that were "one billion times more likely to be from Louise than anyone else".

The court was told the splatter was consistent with Mays punching Louise repeatedly either while she was standing or on the ground.

Mays later claimed to jurors attacked his niece after she got "aggressive" and hit him with a stick in a row over her smoking cannabis.

He said: "She picked up this big stick and hit me on the side with it.

“I grabbed the branch threw it against the floor and I punched her… in the face.

“I was angry with what she did the night before and just then. The first punch she was standing. Second punch she went down.”

From there, Mays claimed he returned home to his wife CJ and later said he simply "forgot" about the killing.

When asked why he continued to batter the schoolgirl as she lay defenceless on the ground, Mays continued: "Because I was angry and lost control of myself.

“I’m not sure [if I broke her nose] I heard cracks but I’m not sure.”

The court heard a clinical review of Mays found he had an "extremely low" IQ of 63, putting him in the bottom one percentile of people.

The monster nine hours a day playing Call Of Duty, Need For Speed and Fortnite on his Xbox as he lived on a £50 fortnightly allowance from his wife.

Following her death, Louise, who was training to be a veterinary nurse, was described by her family as a "smiley, generous person".

They added: "Louise had beautiful blue eyes, a cheeky smile and was known for her kindness to others.

"She loved animals and had a sarcastic sense of humour."

Mays will be sentenced tomorrow.

Source: Read Full Article