Cops arrest five fans after thousands breach social distancing rules to celebrate Leeds United’s Premier League return

COPS made arrests after thousands of football fans breached social distancing rules to wildly celebrate Leeds United’s return to the Premier League.

Supporters flocked to the club’s Elland Road stadium to party in the streets outside on Friday night.

Fans danced on cars, lit flares and sprayed champagne on each other as they partied into the night.

Police moved to protect vehicles around the stadium after at least four were damaged while five supporters were arrested for public order and driving offences.

Others let off fireworks as they cheered on the players, who had gathered inside the stadium to watch the game.

The shocking scenes mirrored those in Liverpool when The Reds won the Premier League last month.

Huge mountains of rubbish and beer cans and bottles were also left outside the stadium, but some fans returned to the stadium at 6am on Saturday to help clean up the mess.

On Saturday Superintendent Chris Bowen, of Leeds District Police, urged fans to remember the one-metre social distancing guidelines while celebrating the club returning to the top flight after a 16-year absence.

He said: “The best way to celebrate is in your home. The safety of fans and the wider public is our primary concern. We must not lose sight of the fact that Covid19 is still with us and that large gatherings are not permitted.”

Leeds manager Marcelo Bielsa, who celebrated by performing elbow bumps with fans at his home in nearby Weatherby, has had a street named after him.

The street linking Trinity Leeds shopping centre to Commercial Street in the city centre will be renamed Marcelo Biesla Way in his honour.

The team’s promotion to the Premier League was confirmed on Friday night after Huddersfield beat West Brom.

Meanwhile in London two men aged 18 and 19 were arrested on Friday night after riot police officers tried to shut down an illegal rave in Finsbury Park, north London.

A Met Police spokesman said cops were met with "hostility and violence" which left two officers injured when canisters, bottles and a bicycle were hurled at them.

One was taken to hospital with bruising to his ribs and has since been discharged, and the other sustained a leg injury but was able complete the remainder of his duty.

All those in attendance were cleared from the area by around 4am.

Met Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Lucy D'Orsi said: "The violence and disorder they encountered is totally unacceptable.”

GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]

Source: Read Full Article