Chef Nick Nairn's Scottish restaurant destroyed by fire in 90 seconds

Celebrity chef Nick Nairn’s Scottish restaurant destroyed by fire in 90 seconds as terrified diners ran for their lives from ‘explosion’ after ‘equipment malfunctioned’

  • A fire broke out at chef Nick Nairn’s restaurant in Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire
  • Over 30 firefighters were tackling the blaze, which broke out on Saturday night
  • The Scottish chef, 62, claimed a piece of equipment malfunctioned at the diner
  • Six fire engines went to scene, and two people were treated for smoke inhalation

Celebrity chef Nick Nairn’s restaurant has burnt down in 90 seconds while terrified diners ran for their lives after a piece of equipment reportedly malfunctioned and exploded. 

The Scottish chef, 62, praised emergency services for helping panicked customers flee outside after a piece of equipment malfunctioned at the bistro in Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire.

More than 30 firefighters were tackling the blaze after being called to the scene on Henderson Street at 8.17pm on Saturday to find a ‘well-developed’ fire in the kitchen.

Devastating photographs on social media showed plumes of smoke and flames pouring out of the building’s windows.

More than 30 firefighters were tackling a blaze (pictured) at a Nick Nairn restaurant after being called to the scene at 8.17pm on Saturday to find a ‘well-developed’ fire in the kitchen

The Scottish chef, 62, said a piece of equipment malfunctioned at the bistro in Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire. Pictured: The restaurant up in flames on Saturday night

Mr Nairn’s staff reportedly tried to dampen the flames with a fire blanket and tackled it with extinguishers, but were forced to flee when the appliance ‘exploded’. 

The chef said that an off-duty police officer and firefighter were both dining with the restaurant at the time and assisted with getting terrified diners to safety.

Mr Nairn told The Sun: ‘We had a full house, it happened right in the middle of service.

‘Luckily an off-duty cop and off-duty firefighter were dining with us, they assisted with the evacuation.

‘Everybody is okay — that’s the main thing.’ 

Six fire engines and a command support unit rushed to the scene, where two people were treated for smoke inhalation.

Mr Nairn, youngest Scottish chef to win a Michelin star in the 1990s, was working at another branch at the time, but rushed straight to the restaurant when he was told about the fire. 

Six fire engines and a command support unit rushed to the scene (pictured), where two people were treated for smoke inhalation

Mr Nairn’s staff reportedly tried to dampen the flames with a fire blanket and tackled it with extinguishers, but were forced to flee when the appliance ‘exploded’ (blaze pictured)

The chef (pictured) said that an off-duty police officer and firefighter were both dining with the restaurant at the time and assisted with getting terrified diners to safety.

Mr Nairn, youngest Scottish chef to win a Michelin star in the 1990s, took to Twitter to thank everyone for the support following the ‘terrible’ fire at his Scottish restaurant

Sharing the news of the blaze on Twitter, Mr Nairn wrote: ‘Just to let you know, terrible fire at Nicks BofA tonight, but thankfully all staff and customers unhurt. 

‘Huge respect and thanks to the emergency services who were incredible.’

He later added: ‘Just processing the enormity of tonight’s fire at Nicks BofA. Overwhelmed by the love! Thank you all so much. Love right back at you Xxx’

Mr Nairn said it will be at least 24 hours before he is able to get into the building to access the damage, adding that the blaze is a ‘bitter pill to swallow’ after a difficult 18 months for hospitality businesses amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: ‘We got a call at 8.17pm to a building alight. We sent two crews from Dunblane and Tillicoultry.

‘On arrival crews confirmed this was a well developed fire within the kitchen and requested further attendance.’

Source: Read Full Article