BRIT aid worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has been sentenced to ANOTHER year in jail by an Iranian Revolutionary court on charges of "propaganda activities against the regime", her lawyer has said.
The 43-year-old British-Iranian philanthropist has also been banned from leaving the country for a year, her lawyer Hojjat Kermani told Emtedad news website today.
"Nazanin Zaghari was sentenced to one year in prison and one year ban from leaving the country on charges of propaganda against the Islamic Republic," Kermani said.
Charity worker Nazanin was arrested in Tehran in 2016 as she was returning to Britain and spent the last year of her sentence under house arrest.
Her electronic ankle tag was removed in March when she was released from a five-year jail term after being accused of spying.
But was told that she faced a new trial accused of "propaganda against the regime" and so was unable to travel back to the UK to be reunited with her husband and young daughter.
She has now been jailed for another year.
Boris Johnson has hit out at the latest sentence and has said the government is "working very hard" to bring Nazanin back to the UK.
"I don't think it's right at all that Nazanin should be sentenced to any more time in jail, it was wrong," the Prime Minister said.
"It's wrong that she's in there in the first place, and we are working very hard to secure release from Iran, to return to her family here in the UK.
"The Government will not stop and will redouble our efforts, we're working with our American friends on this issue as well."
The new sentence has also been slammed by Amnesty International UK director Kate Allen, who has described it as a "terrible setback".
“This is terrible news, and further proof of the incredible cruelty of the Iranian regime," she said.
“It’s truly devastating for Nazanin, Richard and Gabriella. We fear that going back to jail will be almost too much for Nazanin to bear.
“Nazanin’s first trial in 2016 was grossly unfair – a typical Revolutionary Court sham trial on trumped-up national security-related charges.
“After yet another sham trial and another harsh sentence it’s time, surely, for the UK government to say enough is enough.
“In the strongest terms possible, the Government must call on the Iranian authorities to immediately and unconditionally release Nazanin and allow her to return home."
Ms Allen added that the "ball is back in the UK's court" and the government needs to "respond firmly".
“This prolonging of Nazanin’s suffering has raised the odds to such a degree that the UK government must surely now act," she said.
“Today is a terrible setback – there’s no doubt about that.
"But rest assured, the campaign to free Nazanin won’t end until she’s out of jail, out of the country, and sitting on a flight back to Britain.”
Nazanin was jailed in Iran for plotting to overthrow the clerical establishment in 2016, after she had travelled to the country with her young daughter to visit her parents.
She was working as a project manager with the Thomson Reuters Foundation – the charitable arm of the news agency – when she was arrested in Tehran's Imam Khomeini airport on April 3, 2016 – accused of planning to topple the regime.
At a secret trial in 2016, Nazanin was sentenced to five years in jail for "membership of organisations working against the Iranian state", and was let go last month.
In March, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab blasted Iran over its “cruel and inhumane” treatment of the mum after the fresh charges were brought against her.
He said it was “unacceptable and unjustifiable” to continue with a second “wholly arbitrary” case against her.
Before the trial, Nazanin's husband, Richard Ratcliffe, who is in London with their daughter Gabriella, seven, said: “Her future remains uncertain, with all the stress that comes with that, but at least it is not a continually drawn out trial.”
Boris Johnson had also urged Iran to "permanently" release Nazanin after she was released from jail in March so she could return to the UK to be reunited with her family.
The PM previously intervened in Nazanin's case when he visited Tehran in 2017, after he seriously slipped up during his stint as British Foreign Secretary.
Source: Read Full Article