Biden approves review of US intel on Saudi Arabia's 'role' in 9/11 after survivors tell him to stay away from memorials

PRESIDENT Joe Biden has now approved a “fresh review” of documents relating to Saudi Arabia's alleged role in 9/11.

The FBI and Justice Department will be reviewing the intel after over 1,800 people impacted by the attacks said President Biden should only attend 20th-anniversary commemoration events after ordering the release of classified documents they believe link the Saudi government to the 9/11 attacks. 

“As I promised during my campaign, my Administration is committed to ensuring the maximum degree of transparency under the law, and to adhering to the rigorous guidance issued during the Obama-Biden Administration on the invocation of the state secrets privilege,” Biden said in a statement Monday.

“In this vein, I welcome the Department of Justice's filing today, which commits to conducting a fresh review of documents where the government has previously asserted privileges, and to doing so as quickly as possible.”

In a statement obtained by NBC News on Friday, the families claim that "much investigative evidence has been uncovered implicating Saudi government officials in supporting the attacks" since the 9/11 Commission's final report came out in 2004.

That report found "no evidence" of senior Saudi government agencies or individuals funding the Al Qaeda plane attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and Shanksville, PA.

However, declassified United States intelligence material that has come out since has named individuals with alleged connections to the Saudi government.

Further declassified documents could help a legal case filed by those families and survivors who are suing the Saudi government in New York.

The United States Attorney of the Southern District of New York wrote to the judges overseeing the lawsuit the families have filed against Saudi Arabia letting the parties know that “the FBI has decided to review its prior privilege assertions to identify additional information appropriate for disclosure.”

Brett Eagleson lost his father Bruce on 9/11 and has since been an advocate for the families. He told the Daily Mail, “We appreciate President Biden acknowledging our families today as we pursue justice and accountability against the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.”

“Unfortunately, however, we have heard many empty promises before.”

“We hope the Biden administration comes forward now to provide the information the 9/11 community has waited to receive for 20 years, so we can stand together with the president at Ground Zero on 9/11,” he said.

In his statement, President Biden said he knows the “all-consuming grief” of suddenly losing a loved one.

“I can only imagine the added pain these families have endured, spending 20 years pursuing accountability and justice,” the President said.


    Source: Read Full Article