We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Nicola Adams’ time on Strictly Come Dancing looks like it has come to an end after her professional partner Katya Jones has tested positive for coronavirus. The pair, who were the show’s first same sex couple were set to perform the American Smooth this weekend. Nicola and Katya are self-isolating separately following the news.
A BBC spokesperson confirmed to Express.co.uk: “Nicola Adams and Katya Jones are to leave Strictly Come Dancing after Katya tested positive for COVID-19.
“Katya is asymptomatic and the pair are now self-isolating separately following the latest government guidelines.
“As part of the protocols outlined ahead of the series, this sadly means they will no longer be able to take part in the competition.”
Olympian Nicola said of the news: “Hey guys! I’m absolutely devastated my Strictly journey has come to an end so soon.
“I had so much more to give and so many people to win this for!
But I just want to say a huge thank you to Katya for being the best dance partner anyone could ask for.
“She pushed me way out of my comfort zone and it’s been an incredible experience.
“I’m gutted to be out of the competition but in these unprecedented times and as frustrating as it is, the COVID measures in place are to keep everyone safe, and I’m doing what I can to help.
“I’ll be spending the next 14 days isolating so I’d like to apologise in advance for the ridiculous amount of TikToks I’ll be posting, in my new found free time when I’m not gaming!”
Katya added: “Dancing with Nicola has been an absolute inspiration.
“She’s given her all each and every week and we were so excited to create more dances in the competition.
“Of course, I’m devastated to leave this way but I’ve made a friend for life and loved every moment of this special journey.
“I’d like to wish good luck to all the remaining couples!”
Ranvir Singh addresses Piers Morgan’s ‘secret’ role in Strictly debut [INSIGHT]
Caroline Quentin’s Waltz ‘disadvantage’ confirmed by ex-Strictly pro [LATEST]
Jamie Laing warned by Strictly’s Gethin Jones [VIDEO]
Sarah James, Strictly Come Dancing Executive Producer said: “We are incredibly sad that these unfortunate circumstances mean that Nicola and Katya are unable to continue on Strictly.
“They are a brilliant partnership and had already achieved so much during their time on the show.
“We’d like to thank them for their commitment and although their time in the competition has sadly come to an end we are hopeful that there will be opportunities for them to dance again in the future.”
The rest of the Strictly cast are unaffected and the show will continue this Saturday night on BBC One.
It comes after Rylan Clark-Neal revealed he would be absent from It Takes Two for the next two weeks as he is self-isolating.
The presenter told his 1.6 million Twitter followers: “I found out this week that someone I have been in recent contact with outside of work has tested positive for coronavirus.
“I am therefore now following the government guidelines and having to self isolate.
“I have sought a Covid test and thankfully that has returned a negative result.”
Strictly Come Dancing continues Saturday on BBC One at 7.25pm.
Source: Read Full Article