Marcus Stroman unhappy Mets game started in rain: ‘Not smart’

More On:

new york mets

Mets could move struggling star down in the order

A-Rod finalizing deal to buy NBA team

Jacob deGrom deserves an apology

Ex-Met alleges team refused to let him have surgery

So far this season, the Mets’ frustrations had been largely due to coming up empty with runners in scoring position and having their season delayed by the Nationals’ COVID-19 issues.

Sunday, they added another source from a situation that appeared to be completely avoidable.

The Mets wasted a start from Marcus Stroman for seven minutes of soaking-wet baseball before their rubber match with the Marlins at Citi Field entered a rain delay. The game was suspended after a delay of more than two hours and will be resumed as part of a split doubleheader on Aug. 31.

Stroman, who appeared to be having a hard time getting his hands dry and frequently asked for dry baseballs during his brief time on the mound in the top of the first, was not pleased about the decision to begin the game in the first place.

“This game should have never been started,” Stroman tweeted 36 minutes after the game was delayed. “Not smart at all. Those conditions put everyone at risk. Beyond happy no players on either side were injured. Hate that I have to wait another five days to pitch again. That’s a miserable feeling.”

The lengthy delay ensured Stroman was done for the day, even if the game had been able to resume.

Despite rain being in the forecast for most of the day, manager Luis Rojas had said two hours before the scheduled first pitch that the Mets intended to play and “there’s gonna be a chance at some point potentially.” That looked to be the case a little over an hour later, when the grounds crew removed the tarp and began preparing the field for the game.

Stroman came out to warm up in a light rain and his teammates eventually followed suit, but just as first pitch neared, the rain began to fall harder and steadier. Still, after the umpires arrived and appeared to look at the radar on an iPad with the grounds crew, they kept on schedule with Stroman throwing the first pitch on time at 1:10 p.m.

Before the game entered a delay at 1:17 p.m., Stroman had given up a single and recorded an out before taking his time during an at-bat to Jesus Aguilar — who had also stopped to dry off his bat.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article