Man Utd captain Dan Gore SENT OFF against Wrexham but fans are 'baffled' by referee's decision | The Sun

DAN GORE was sent off just two minutes into the second half as Manchester United lost 3-1 to Wrexham last night.

With the first team in action against Real Madrid in Houston just 24 hours later, the Red Devils fielded a reserve team against their League Two opponents in San Diego.

Jonny Evans, who has played 198 times for United's first team, was one of just two players over the age of 20 to feature – the other being goalkeeper Nathan Bishop.

But it was Gore, who has impressed during pre-season, who took the armband aged just 18.

Fans are already enamoured with the teenager's game, watching with glee as he picked the ball up from the centre-backs and looked to get his team going.

But his big night as stand-in skipper would come to a premature end, as he was red carded just two minutes into the second half.


Overzealous Gore gets sent off while Hannibal shines in tough loss

Get the best free spins bonuses with our guide to the top casino deals

Gore flew into a tackle on Wrexham ace Andy Cannon, although replays suggested that he may have been unlucky.

Fans certainly felt that way, with many taking to social media to slam the decision.

One wrote of the red card: "That feels pretty reactionary, especially on the replay."

While a second tweeted: "Never a red card in a million years."

Most read in Football


£259m Mbappe bid ACCEPTED, Bayern confident of Kane move, Liverpool eye Lavia

emma's ordeal

BBC football presenter 'repeatedly stopped by man trying to take pics of her'


Former Prem star training with Joey Barton's League 1 side as he searches for move


David Ginola's model daughter stuns in bikini as she enjoys holiday boat trip


A third fumed: "The ridiculous red card to Dan Gore ruined the game."

While another added that they were "baffled".

United's youthful side trailed Wrexham 2-1 at the time of the sending off.

Phil Parkinson's side had opened up a two-goal lead courtesy of goals by Elliot Lee and Aaron Hayden.

Marc Jurado got United back into it deep into stoppage time, before Gore's red card halted their momentum.

Sam Dalby restored Wrexham's two-goal advantage on 69 minutes, with the League Two new-boys going on to win 3-1.

United goalkeeper Bishop was fortunate to stay on the pitch during the first half after a challenge that left Wrexham star Paul Mullin having to be rushed to hospital with a punctured lung.

Parkinson was enraged with Bishop's foul after the match, blasting: "I’m fuming about it, I’ve got to be honest with you. It was a clumsy, reckless, challenge in a pre-season game and I’m not happy with it at all.

"I haven’t seen the goalie and he’s probably best steering clear of us for the time being because we’re not very happy.

“It should have been a straight red. If it’s not denying a goal scoring opportunity it’s still a dangerous challenge so if you add the two scenarios together he should have been off the pitch.

"It’s a dangerous challenge and obviously Paul Mullin is our talisman. The way the lads responded after that I thought was outstanding. That’s what we’re all about as a group – resilience, sticking together."

United's Under-21 boss Travis Binnion was more sympathetic, saying: "It’s part and parcel of the game, nobody wants to see anyone get injured. He’s made an honest challenge, he’s come off worse. He’s already reached out to him.

"Booing him, it is what it is. He’s tried to reach out. He’s a great lad Bish, he hasn’t got a bad bone in his body."

After the match, Bishop tweeted: "Just wanted to share my sincerest apologies to @PMullin7.

Read More on The Sun

I took my kid to the best indoor water park – but everyone says the same thing

Catfish has no front teeth but looks like Mariah Carey with makeup on

"A complete misjudgement and a genuine accident with 0 malicious intent at all!

"Wishing you the speediest recovery and hope to see you back scoring goals as soon as possible!"

Source: Read Full Article