Ireland FINALLY beat All Blacks on New Zealand soil as Andrew Porter's brace of tries makes history in Dunedin | The Sun

FOR A while, it threatened to be the same ol' script for Ireland against New Zealand.

Much like last week, they made a bright start and scored a try inside the first five minutes.

Yet much like last week, when the half-time whistle blew, there was a feeling of what might have been.

This time round, however, Ireland would not be denied. This was their day to make history and, at the 14th time of asking, beat the All Blacks on their own soil.

It was Keith Earls who got that early score in that 42-19 defeat in Aukland, but with the Munster man off the pitch, it was left to Andrew Porter to set the stage.

The Leinster forward had only ever scored two tries for his country; by the time the final buzzer sounded in Dunedin, he had doubled that tally.

The first came on three minutes, when big carries from the titanic Tadhg Beirne and the lively Mack Hansen – brought in from the start for Earls – got Andy Farrell's side up to the line for Porter to plunge over.

A Johnny Sexton penalty on 11 minutes from a Caelan Doris turnover had them 10-0 in front and with their heads up.

Whereas Ireland fell apart in the second quarter in Aukland, it was New Zealand who seemed to lose the run of themselves with ill discipline leaving them black and yellow.

First, Mack Hansen was hit high by Leicester Fainga'anuku off the ball, but for the TMO and referee to deem the transgression worthy of just a yellow card.

Most read in Rugby Union

Australia vs England

Red Rose out for revenge after humiliation last week

New Zealand 12-23 Ireland

Porter brace secures first EVER Irish away win against All Blacks


Latest TV info and team news as Wales aim to break the South African curse


Watch Aussie star Swain HEAD BUTT England's Hill and get red card in rugby clash

Ten minutes later, it was Ofa Tu'ungafasi who was sent to the bin for a tackle off the ball on Garry Ringrose as he went to collect a Johnny Sexton offload in the 22.

That temporary reduction to 13 was made permanent on the half hour, when Angus Ta'avao – brought on the make up the numbers following the yellow carding of Tu'ungafasi – collided with Ringrose.

After a TMO review, the sub was given his marching orders, forcing him to leave the field red-faced, both figuratively and literally.

Ireland never took advantage of that numerical advantage, despite dominating possession and territory.

Instead, on the stroke of half-time, after James Ryan was sent to the bin, Beauden Barrett gave New Zealand a life-line with a try.

At this point, fans would have been forgiving for expecting the worst in the second-half.

On the contrary, the professionalism that the Boys in Green showed in the second period was commendable.

Andrew Porter and Ireland got their second try on 48 minutes.

Once again, Tadhg Beirne was involved, carrying the ball deep into the 22 with a huge carry into and past Jordie Barrett.

Another Sexton conversion and it was 17-7, with the captain – whose fitness was in question – adding two more penalties to put them well in control.


Ian Foster's men, increasingly desperate, threw the kitchen sink at the Irish rearguard.

Jordie Barrett thought he had broken away when he sprinted past Robbie Henshaw and Bundee Aki – brought on for Ringrose after the aforementioned collission.

What he didn't account for was the feintest of touches by Caelan Doris, who sent him tumbling with the most delicate of ankle taps.

Ireland emptied the subs bench but never really looked in too much jeopardy and, while Will Jordan would score a late consolation try, it was far too little, far too late.

After 46 years of hurt, an Irish side had FINALLY beaten the All Blacks in their own back yard.

And with the series now tied at 1-1, Andy Farrell and co. will fancy their chances of going adding insult to injury in Wellington.

    Source: Read Full Article