BENJAMIN Mendy's new football club website crashed as the player's shock transfer was revealed today.
The French World Cup winner, 29, has signed for Ligue 1 side FC Lorient until June 2025 – just days after he was cleared of rape.
Mendy left Manchester City by mutual consent last month at the end of his contract, having not played for the Premier League and Champions League winners since 2021.
And Lorient confirmed they had signed the left-back on a two-year contract on Wednesday morning.
However, within minutes of the transfer announcement at 10am UK time, the club's website went down.
Fans flooded the page to read the press release but were unable to get on before the site later recovered.
READ MORE IN FOOTBALL
Kane’s being held PRISONER & is ideal player to lead Utd to glory, says Rooney
Mendy returns to football in shock transfer weeks after leaving Man City
One Twitter user said: "FC Lorient's website has crashed following the announcement that they have signed left-back Benjamin Mendy from Manchester City."
Another wrote: "The Lorient website is broken."
A statement from his new club, based in Brittany, read: "FC Lorient is pleased to announce today the signing for two seasons of French international left-back Benjamin Mendy (29).
"After having satisfied the traditional medical examination, Benjamin Mendy, world champion 2018, quadruple winner of the Premier League under the colours of Manchester City and French champion of Ligue 1 with Monaco in particular, comes to reinforce the Lorient workforce for this new season.
Most read in Football
Rashford SIGNS new contract, Hojlund bid, Onana updates, takeover latest
Man Utd re-sign Jonny Evans in transfer return after Leicester exit
Man Utd 'agree personal terms with Hojlund but Atalanta reject THREE man swap'
Chelsea suffer HORROR injury blow with fears key player will miss SEASON
"The native of Longjumeau, who will wear number 5 with the Merlus, will take his first steps at Espace FCL today. Welcome Benjamin!"
Mendy was cleared of rape and attempted rape at Chester Crown Court last week.
He smiled for the camera just hours after a jury cleared him of attempting to rape a woman aged 29 as she showered at his home in October 2018.
The footballer was also found not guilty of raping a 24-year-old woman in his bedroom at his £4.8m mansion in Prestbury, Cheshire, two years later.
On Friday evening he celebrated his freedom with pals by going out.
And he turned up at the Pitts complex in Ardwick, Manchester, on Sunday for a kickabout with strangers.
An onlooker said: "Mendy turned up and asked some lads if he could join in.
"They couldn't believe it – getting to play against a Premier League star and a World Cup winner.
Read More on The Sun
Headteacher reveals why parents SHOULD let kids miss school to go on holiday
I love my body hair…trolls say it’s unhygienic & assume I smell bad but I’m hot
"He had a laugh and just enjoyed himself and was happy to shake everyone’s hand at the end and sign autographs."
Mendy last played for City against Tottenham Hotspur in August 2021 and was suspended by the club later that month when he was arrested.
Source: Read Full Article