Warning as self-assessment tax customers have just DAYS left to file paper returns | The Sun

SELF-ASSESSMENT tax customers are being urged to file their paper returns with the deadline just days away.

Customers have until January 31, 2023 to submit their online return for the 2021 to 2022 tax year.

However, the deadline for paper tax returns is October 31.

For those who miss the paper deadline, they still have until January 31 next year to file online.

HMRC said 95% of self-assessment customers filed their tax returns online last year, but that means there's still 5% who did it on paper.

The government department is encouraging taxpayers to complete their returns, whether online or paper, as soon as possible.

Read more in Money

I bought my council house as a first-time buyer – and I got a 46% discount

When to go Christmas shopping at Primark and Poundland to get the best deals

That way people know what they owe and can budget to make the payment by January 31.

It also means if a repayment is due when someone has overpaid, they can claim it sooner.

With the cost of living surging for millions and energy bills so high, early repayments could help tide some households over.

Myrtle Lloyd, HMRC’s director general for customer services, said: “With 100 days to go until the online deadline, there’s still time to complete your tax return, to budget and look into the range of payment options if you need to."

Most read in Money


Abandoned 'time warp' home is now worth £1.3M and you won't believe how it looks


Families face forking out hundreds more in taxes under Jeremy Hunt's new plan


Four things to do NOW as clocks go back to prepare your home


Students to be paid £400 to go to school – is your child eligible?

How do I file a self-assessed tax return?

You can file a tax return online or via post.

If you don't submit your online tax return by January 31, 2023, you'll have to pay a late fee of £100 if it's up to three months late and more if it's later.

Plus, you'll be charged interest on late payments.

If you're doing it by post, you have to download a SA100 tax return form and send it to Self Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AS, United Kingdom.

Read More on The Sun

I used to hate my big boobs, now I know my body is sexy – I won’t hide again

People never believe my name until I show them my birth certificate

If you live outside the UK you have to send it to HM Revenue and Customs, Benton Park View, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE98 1ZZ, United Kingdom.

If you want to file it online, you can do it here.

Source: Read Full Article