How to check whether you get the cold weather payment as temperatures set to drop

TEMPERATURES are set to plummet this week, meaning it might be time to turn up the heating.

With energy bills at an all time high, many people are hoping to cut back on spending this winter.

Snow is expected to batter the UK over the coming days as an Arctic Blast sends temperatures plunging as low as -7C.

Up to 20 inches of snow are predicted to fall in Scotland from tomorrow before the icy weather moves down to England in the following days.

But there's help you can claim if you're struggling financially, including the cold weather payment.

The cold weather payment is a £25 payout to benefits claimants when temperatures hit freezing.

If temperatures in their area fall below zero degrees Celsius for seven consecutive days between November and March – we explain.

Am I eligible for a cold weather payment?

You’re eligible for the cold weather payment scheme if you’re in receipt of one of the following benefits and meet certain criteria:

  • Pension credit
  • Income support
  • Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
  • Income-related employment and support allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Support for mortgage interest

Depending on your specific circumstances, you may also need to meet one or more of the following additional criteria:

  • Have a disability or be in receipt of pension premium
  • Have a child who is disabled
  • Be in receipt of child tax credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
  • Have a severe or enhanced disability premium
  • Be in receipt of a limited capability for work amount
  • Have a child under five living with you

Regardless of employment, Universal Credit claimants are eligible if they have a disabled child amount in their claim.

You can find out more about eligibility on the government's website.

How do I apply for the cold weather payment?

You don’t need to apply for the cold weather payment as it’s paid automatically.

If you don’t receive a payment and believe you’re eligible then you can tell your pension centre or Jobcentre Plus office, or call the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644.

You can check online whether there is a payment for your area is due.


We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Money team?

Email us at [email protected]

    Source: Read Full Article